Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
Alamo Embraces Changes Coming to South Lamar Plaza
Changes are coming to the South Lamar Plaza Shopping Center and to the Alamo South Lamar theatre.
A deal to tear down the strip mall and build a mixed-use development is moving forward. Many of the stores that have been at that location for decades will have to move elsewhere.
The Alamo Drafthouse and its karaoke bar, The Highball, will remain. But only after closing for much of 2013 to undergo extensive renovations – including adding three screens to the theatre and expanding the lobby area.
“It is a beloved location and where our film festival Fantastic Fest, which actually starts this Thursday, is headquartered out of. But, from our press announcement and what our founder has also expressed, we’re excited about the opportunity to make some enhancements and some improvements that we might not have been able to do otherwise," company spokesperson Brandy Fons says.
The Highball will close in November and the Alamo South Lamar will close in January. Both will reopen late next year.
Arts and Culture