Most Active Stories
- Austin Now the 11th Largest City in the U.S., Up from 13th Largest
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- KUT News Presents 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
AM Update: 8/6/12
AM Update: Food Recall Affects Texas, LCRA Won't Lower Lake Levels, Another Longhorn Gold
Watch What You Eat
A Minnesota company is recalling more than 15,000 pounds of ready-to-eat meat and poultry products – some of which was sent to a distribution center in Texas.
The meat products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The recall affects:
- 5.6 oz. packages of "Armour Active Packs Turkey & Cheese Wrap" Package Code 1026090112 or Case Code 27815-17994
- 5.6 oz. packages of "Armour Active Packs Ham & Cheese Wrap" Package Code 1026090112 or Case Code 27815-17995
The products have a “sell by” date through September 1.
So far, no one has reported getting sick after eating these products.
Lake Levels Not to Be Touched During Drought
The Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) will not be lowering the lake levels in Inks, LBJ, Marble Falls, or Austin lakes this winter. The LCRA believes that while the drought continues, lowering water levels wouldn’t be a smart, efficient use of water.
The LCRA sometimes lower the levels of these lakes to help control certain plants and allow lakeside residents to maintain docks. This summer, the LCRA and the City of Austin have been battling an invasion of hydrilla in Lake Austin.
Because of the severe drought, the lake levels weren’t lowered last year, either.
More Gold in the Pot: Former Longhorn Adds a Medal in Track and Field
Yet another former Longhorn has captured Olympic gold. Jamaican national Sanya Richards-Ross won a gold medal in the 400m race, running a time of 49.55. Richards-Ross had earned a bronze in the 2008 Beijing Olympics in the same race. She received gold medals in Beijing and Athens for the 4x400m relay.
Richards-Ross posted on her twitter account: "I have dreamt of this moment for a very long time but nothing compares to this feeling! Never give up on your dreams!!!! God is good"
Stay tuned for more Texas Ex Olympic competition. Former UT runner Leo Manzano qualified to run in the 1500m final tomorrow.
AM Update: 8/2/12