Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Where Else Could Pres. Obama Have Eaten BBQ in Austin?
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- First Look at UT Medical School: New Hospital on Red River, Erwin Center Could Be Demolished
- Obama in Austin: 'Folks Around Here Are Doing Something Right'
KUT News Staff
Another I-35 Accident Closed Lanes Earlier Today
Authorities shut down the north and southbound lanes on Interstate 35 earlier this afternoon, after a pickup truck hit a small propane tank trunk just south of Slaughter Lane.
“The pick up truck caught on fire and there was a small leak from the propane tank,” said Veneza Aguinaga, a senior police officer at the Austin Police Department. “It is typical protocol to shut down a road if we feel there is a threat to citizens.”
The interstate was closed for a little over an hour while officials cleaned up the accident. Motorists were encouraged to take Texas 45 and Ben White in order to avoid a back up on the access roads. Earlier this morning, a collision in North Austin shut I-35's southbound lanes temporarily.
There were no reported injuries.