Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Transportation Group Seeks Input on Changes to CAMPO 2035 Plan
KUT News Staff
APD Make 37 DWI Arrests Over ROT Rally Weekend
The Austin Police Department held another “No Refusal” weekend on Friday and Saturday nights, meaning officers can request a warrant to draw blood by force if a driver refuses a breathalyzer. It was the first time during the Republic of Texas motorcycle rally that APD implemented the policy. Last year, there were three alcohol-related fatal motorcycle accidents during the ROT Rally.
Here are the numbers from APD:
There were a total of 37 DWI's over the No refusal weekend.
Of the 37 DWI's there were 20 blood draws, 16 search warrants, 3 of which were mandatory and 1 consent blood draw.
There were 17 that consented to breath.
Friday: 23 DWI's 11 were blood draws, 9 search warrants, 2 mandatory.
12 consented to breath.
Saturday: 14 DWI's 9 blood draws, 7 search warrants, 1 mandatory, and 1 consent.
There were 5 that consented to breath.