Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
Austin Airport Traffic: Up, Up and Away!
More passengers are flying into and out of Austin. Passenger traffic was up 4 percent this June compared to last June.
"We had 9 million passengers in 2008 and then we went back down to 8.2 and then 8.7 the last two years. So right now we’re looking to be closer to 9 million,” Austin Bergstrom International Airport spokesman Jason Zielinski said.
June is typically a busy month for ABIA."Our busiest time of the year is the June, July, August time when a lot of people are doing their summer vacations," Zielinkski said.
So far this year, from January to June, traffic is up 7 percent compared to the same period in 2010. A sign of an easing recession? Zielinski thinks it's possible. Though that would fly in the face of recent national economic news that shows the economy is still staggering and remains vulnerable to another recessionary dip.