Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Where Else Could Pres. Obama Have Eaten BBQ in Austin?
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- First Look at UT Medical School: New Hospital on Red River, Erwin Center Could Be Demolished
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
KUT News Staff
Austin City Council Considers Austin Pets Alive Lease
Today the Austin City Council will consider changes to a temporary lease agreement with Austin Pets Alive. Austin Pets Alive has been using a portion of the Town Lake Animal Center since the city shelter moved five miles east to the Austin Animal Center, and now the nonprofit wants to operate out of the entire building.
Also on the agenda at today’s work session, beginning at 9 a.m., is a resolution that would establish an advisory task force on drawing geographical districts for city council elections. The proposal is similar to what was proposed by the city's Charter Revision Committee.
The council will also look at one-time exemptions to the city’s smoking ban in city parks for the upcoming Austin Food and Wine Festival and Eeyore’s Birthday Party. The exemptions would create designated smoking areas at the parks during the festivals.
As always, you can watch today's meeting online. Council will convene again to act on today's discussion items at its regular meeting Thursday, April 26.
austin city limits