Most Active Stories
- Should Austin Bury I-35? Proposal to Reconnect City Gets New Look
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Why Passing the STAAR Exam Will Get Tougher, Starting Next Year
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
KUT News Staff
Austin DirecTV Customers May Lose Viacom Channels
Certain DirecTV channels may go off the air at midnight as the company’s contract with Viacom expires.
The current state of negotiations between the companies indicates those channels — which include Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and MTV — will go black for DirecTV subscribers at that time.
Viacom says that DirecTV is offering to pay less than “any other distributor in the industry.”
DirecTV asserted in an online statement that it does not plan to pull the channels and that they will not go off the air “unless Viacom chooses to take them away.”
DirecTV has over 20 million subscribers and carries 17 unique Viacom channels, as well as nine HD versions.