Most Active Stories
- Should Austin Bury I-35? Proposal to Reconnect City Gets New Look
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Why Passing the STAAR Exam Will Get Tougher, Starting Next Year
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
KUT News Staff
Austin Water Offers Landscaping Rebates
City of Austin Water Utility customers could get up to $1250 in rebates for changing their landscaping.
The water utility wants customers to replace thirsty turfgrass with native plant beds and permeable hardscapes that demand less water. Austin Water says some Central Texans have gardens and yards with plants that are not the best for the area.
“Some of the St. Augustine and other types of plants look pretty but they may not be successful in the kind of heat and especially the kind of drought that we’ve been experiencing. So we work with customers to help them choose better plants, better landscapes that are water wise," Austin Water Utility spokesperson Jill Mayfield says.
For every 100 square feet that are converted, customers can apply to receive $25. Only 100 customers will be eligible for the rebates during this planting cycle. Click here for more information on eligibility.