Most Active Stories
- Austin Now the 11th Largest City in the U.S., Up from 13th Largest
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
Bruce Springsteen to Keynote SXSW Music Conference
Organizers of Austin's South By Southwest Music Conference and Festival announced the keynote speaker for 2012. It's the biggest catch yet for the 26 year-old event.
It was a well-kept secret but SXSW organizers revealed Bruce Springsteen will be the music conference's keynote speaker in March.
"After the death of Clarence Clemons, it marks a new chapter. So doing something like this which you know, it's an event where he can kind of assess his career; makes tons of sense," said Ann Powers, NPR Music critic and correspondent.
Past SXSW keynote speakers include Robert Plant, Pete Townshend, Smokey Robinson and Neil Young.
Springsteen has a few local ties. He and Austin-based musician Alejandro Escovedo share management and have they've shared the stage on a few occasions.
No word yet on whether Springsteen will perform while in town but KUT's Texas Music Matters will keep you posted.