Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Transportation Group Seeks Input on Changes to CAMPO 2035 Plan
KUT News Staff
Cap Metro Bus Crashes Foam Sword Brawl at UT
Video captured earlier today on the UT Campus shows an incident that injured one student, albeit not seriously.
The video below captures a scene from Foam Sword Friday, an end-of-semester tradition of sorts, where students relieve finals anxiety by engaging in faux battle. As you can see, one participant received a blow from a Cap Metro bus instead.
Update: Capital Metro released the following statement:
Today, May 4th, at 12:50 p.m. a northbound Capital Metro bus was involved in an accident with a pedestrian as he ran across the street on Guadalupe at 23rd St . The driver was cited by the Austin Police Department. The pedestrian got up on his own accord and walked to the curb, and was transported to the hospital win non-life threatening injuries.
The operator is a 21-year veteran with only one accident on his record, which occurred approximately ten years ago. He will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation that will include a drug and alcohol test. If it is determined that the driver was at fault, he will face disciplinary action.