Most Active Stories
- First Look at UT Medical School: New Hospital on Red River, Erwin Center Could Be Demolished
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Where Else Could Pres. Obama Have Eaten BBQ in Austin?
- A Permanent Farmers Market, and 5 Other Ways Austin Can Become A Foodie Capital
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
KUT News Staff
Could AISD Be Sued for Cancelling Its IDEA Contract?
The Austin Independent School Board will meet behind closed doors this evening. According to the executive session agenda, they may discuss possible lawsuits surrounding the district’s decision to cancel its contract with IDEA Public Schools.
In December, the board voted 5 to 4 to cancel the contract that hired IDEA to run an in-district charter at Allan Elementary.
“There are clearly relationships between AISD and IDEA at the moment that fall under the executive session aspect. Exactly what’s going to be discussed or what they are bringing to be discussed, I absolutely have no idea at this point other than what the agenda item says," AISD Board Member Robert Schneider says.
Before going into closed session, the school board will hold a public hearing on the nearly $900 million bond proposal that voters could see in May.
That’s at 6:30 at Crockett High School. There's a second public hearing next Tuesday.