Most Active Stories
- Austin Now the 11th Largest City in the U.S., Up from 13th Largest
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
KUT News Staff
East Coast Winter Storm 'Nemo' Cancels Austin Flights
This is the kind of Nemo you don’t want to find.
Winter Storm Nemo, which the Weather Channel is calling a possible “record setting blizzard”, is just getting started on the Northeast coast. But it is already contributing to flight cancelations at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.
Up to three feet of snow is expected in some areas in between costal Maine and northern New Jersey. And those predictions are cancelling flights across the country. The Weather Channel reports a total of 2,500 flights have already been canceled.
So far this morning, ABIA reports some departing flight cancelations to New York’s JFK Airport and to Newark. A few arriving flights are also canceled.
Officials recommend that passengers always double-check flight status before leaving for the airport. Many also recommend arriving 90-minutes before takeoff.