Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
Fatal Motorcycle Wreck Closes Freeway Flyover
Update 1:15 p.m. APD confirm the motorcyclist killed this morning was a 50 year-old man, but haven't released any more details, pending notification of his next of kin.
Police say the man hit a guardrail on the flyover from I-35 to 290 just after 10 a.m. and fell over the rail onto the service road some 30 feet below. Police will keep the flyover closed as they investigate the cause of the accident.
Update: 12:05 p.m. Austin Police say I-35 is open, but the flyover from East 290 to I-35 is still closed.
Update: 11:08 a.m. More news, via Twitter:
Austin-Travis County EMS Public Information Office tweets:
Motorcycle fatality, I35\Hwy 290. 60's year old male thrown from the motorcycle and over the guard rail, landed on Hwy 290 EB.
Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo tweets:
Was advised of our first motorcycle fatality of this ROT Rally week at 290 and 35. Let's hope we don't have any others.
Original post: Austin Police say a crash involving a motorcycle has shut down both the upper and lower decks of Interstate 35 Southbound.
The flyover from East 290 to I-35 is also closed.
We’ll update you when roads open back up.