Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- First Look at UT Medical School: New Hospital on Red River, Erwin Center Could Be Demolished
- Where Else Could Pres. Obama Have Eaten BBQ in Austin?
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- Storify: President Obama Visits Austin, Manor
KUT News Staff
First Person: Undocumented Student
The Obama administration continues to press for passage of the DREAM Act, a bill that would provide a path to citizenship for undocumented students whose parents brought them to the U.S. when they were children. Opponents of the bill, including Texas Congressman Lamar Smith, say it would reward illegal behavior. Texas is one of only three states that provides financial aid for undocumented students.
KUT News freelancer Jeff Heimsath interviewed one undocumented student at the University of Texas about his hope of becoming an American citizen.