Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
Goestenkors Quits as UT Women's Basketball Coach
Texas Women’s basketball coach, Gail Goestenkors, resigned at a press conference this afternoon.
In the five years with Goestenkors at the helm, the Lady Longhorns only made it out of the first round of the NCAA Tournament once, in 2008. That was her first year as head coach.
They barely made the tournament field this year, finishing 18-14, and 8-10 in Big 12 play. They lost to West Virginia in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday.
Goestenkors came to Texas from Duke to fill the shoes of legendary coach Jody Conradt, who left coaching in 2007. At the time of her retirement, she was second only to Tennessee Women's coach Pat Summitt in career victories with 900.
Goestenkors leaves Texas having compiled a 102-64 (.614) record.
Her last day at UT is Friday. A full transcript of the press conference will be made available here.