Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
How an Austin Marriage Proposal Exploded Across the Internet
Imagine a private wedding proposal. Now imagine that private moment hurtling across the Internet to untold thousands of people.
That was the position Austinite Joel Bush found himself in, when photographer Patrick Lu snapped a beautiful photo of Bush’s proposal to his girlfriend, at dusk on the Texas Capitol grounds.
The post received a whopping number of approving votes and comments, which ultimately led the mystery man on bended knee to see it.
The story has since been picked up by tech site Mashable, which talked to Bush. He said “We experienced that magic on its own terms, with no thought about posing or anything. And, because the photographer did such an awesome job, we also have that precise moment and her beautiful reaction captured for safekeeping. It’s pretty priceless.”
And by the way, she said yes.
Arts and Culture