Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- First Look at UT Medical School: New Hospital on Red River, Erwin Center Could Be Demolished
- Where Else Could Pres. Obama Have Eaten BBQ in Austin?
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- Storify: President Obama Visits Austin, Manor
KUT News Staff
It's Official: 737 Coming to the 512
With Austin’s growth comes some changes. This morning, the Public Utility Commission voted to adopt a new area code for the Austin area. The 737 area code will be introduced to the 512 in July of 2013.
Commissioner Ken Anderson says the transition shouldn’t be difficult for Austinites.
“We’ve had ten digit dialing in North Texas for a long time. So welcome to the 21st century,” said Anderson.
Ten digit dialing will be phased in starting this December.
The Commission also voted this morning to approve an increase in the price cap for wholesale electricity in Texas.
It is part of an effort to get companies to build more power plants at a time when officials worry that Texas may not have enough electricity to avoid rolling blackouts in the long term.