Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
2012 Presidential Election
Perry to Drop Out, Endorse Gingrich
Texas Governor Rick Perry has called an 11 a.m. press conference this morning in South Carolina. According to The Texas Tribune, KUT's political reporting partner, and other media outlets, Perry will use the event to drop out of the GOP presidential race and endorse Newt Gingrich.
Rumors were swirling last night on Twitter, as various news outlets and blogs were saying the governor was calling it quits after he canceled an appearance at Bob Jones University Wednesday afternoon.
But the campaign denied the rumors and Perry attended an anti-abortion forum sponsored by Personhood USA last night.
This morning the campaign sent out a short press release simply saying there would be a press conference in North Charleston, with no additional information.
He's been barnstorming across South Carolina for the last two weeks, but his efforts have not moved him in the polls.
You can listen to Ben Philpott's audio report below.