Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
Perry Orders Special Election in Kuempel's District For Dec. 14
Texas Governor Rick Perry has ordered a special election for December 14 in House District 44. State Representative Edmund Kuempel (R-Seguin) died of a heart attack Thursday after being reelected there on November 2.
Candidates have until November 15 to file with the Secretary of State if they want to run in the special election. Kuempel faced no challengers in last week's election.
Kuempel was buried today at the Texas State Cemetery in Austin. His hometown paper, the Seguin Gazette-Enterprise, reported that hundreds passed by Kuempel's pecan wood casket yesterday at Tres Hewell Mortuary.
Mortuary President Tres Hewell said the arrangements for Kuempel are the most high-profile he’s had since he came to Seguin.
“This is the most historic memorial service we’ve had here in Seguin to date and we consider it an honor and a privilege,” Hewell said.
“We’ve seen tons of people,” a funeral home employee agreed Monday afternoon. “I can’t tell you how many. It’s been a continuous steady stream.”