Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
Sonogram Bill Passes Senate
The Texas Senate passed a bill this Thursday that would require doctors to perform a sonogram at least two hours before an abortion takes place.
Doctors would have to describe whether the fetus has arms, legs or internal organs. And then they would provide women the opportunity to view the sonogram or to hear the fetal heartbeat.
The bill makes exceptions for cases of rape, incest or fetal abnormalities.
Four similar bills are pending in the Texas House.