Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
Texas Senate Approves Voter ID
Senate Approves Voter ID
The Texas Senate passed controversial voter ID legislation last night. The Senate speedily passed the bill that Democrats had blocked in previous sessions. As expected, the vote came down along party lines.
Republicans say photo identification is needed at the polls to prevent voter fraud. Democrats say it would disenfranchise some voters, including minorities. The voter ID legislation now goes to the House, and it would ultimately have to be approved by the Justice Department. You can hear more about voter ID on this week's KUT News/Texas Tribune Tribcast.