Most Active Stories
- Austin Now the 11th Largest City in the U.S., Up from 13th Largest
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
Top Morning Stories 1/5/12
APD Officers Under Investigation
Some Austin Police Department Officers have been moonlighting for a wealthy Mexican man, who paid them to look after his daughter while she attended college in Austin - the Austin American Statesman reports. Federal and local investigators are saying their interest was sparked because officers were paid in cash.
When Wells Blow Out in Pennsylvania, Texas Step In
Gas and oil well blowouts are the stuff of legend in Texas. But in Pennsylvania, a state with little modern experience with wells, a surge in drilling has some residents on edge. The thought of a geyser of fire erupting in an otherwise peaceful pasture might sound like a nightmare. StateImpact reporters Scott Detrow and Dave Fehling report that a team of Texans is often enlisted when something goes wrong at the wells.
APD Took No Report in Attack Before Murder
Before Esmerelda "Esme" Barrera was killed in her home New Years Eve, another woman was attacked in the same area. The Austin Police Department filed no report in that alleged attack, a fact that could have cost the police time in tracking down the perpetrator, KXAN reports.