Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Transportation Group Seeks Input on Changes to CAMPO 2035 Plan
KUT News Staff
UT Hires Women's Basketball Coach
Aston was flanked by UT Women’s Athletic Director, Chris Plonsky, at a press conference this morning. Plonsky said the decision to hire Aston came down to her familiarity with recruiting in Texas.
"I thought we were very specific to what our target was: experience at our recruiting base, which is the state of Texas. There is a Texas tinge in women's basketball in this country that is undeniable," said Plonsky. "Karen has been in this state a long time and her imprint is here. That has to be a part of someone that is successful in this territory."
Before coaching at North Texas, Aston spent time as an assistant coach at UT under Jody Conradt from 1998 to 2006. She addressed the high expectations associated with the program.
“My job is to make Texas proud of the women’s basketball program. And I will do everything I can to get Texas to where it needs to be again,” Aston said.
Aston's appointment is effective immediately and runs through Aug 2017. The details of her contract have yet to be released.