Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Transportation Group Seeks Input on Changes to CAMPO 2035 Plan
KUT News Staff
Arts and Culture
Watch Austin Filmmakers' Rejected Super Bowl Commercial
For the past several years, Doritos has sponsored a competition for filmmakers to shoot their own spots for the brand, with the winning clip earning a space in TV’s priciest airtime and a million dollars to the creators themselves.
Austin comedic filmmakers David Ward, John Ramsey and Jack Dreesen filmed three submissions, yet none of them were selected for the finals. But in a blog post last month, the creators noted the clip had already “gone viral,” netting some hundreds of thousands of views.
The clip’s reach has exploded since then. While the crew at Ralph Smyth Entertainment may not win a million dollars, they’ve racked up nearly 2.5 million views of YouTube, with fans even going as far to tally the magical “ingredients” in the salty snacks.