Most Active Stories
- Austin Now the 11th Largest City in the U.S., Up from 13th Largest
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
KUT News Staff
Woman Accused Of Stealing From Non-Profits Appears in Court
Local media are all over Louanne Aponte's court appearance today. She's the 52-year-old former director of Family Connections who fled to Venezuala after she was accused of siphoning funds from a number of local charities and spending the cash on a home in Circle C, a Mercedes, and a 20-foot boat.
As we told you on Wednesday, Aponte voluntarily flew back to Houston this week and surrendered to Travis County authorities. Her husband's lawyer says Ms. Aponte came back to take the rap for charges that had imprisoned her husband Marco Aponte.
Sounds like a somewhat boring court appearance today, except for local news crews. She appeared in court, did not enter a plea, and had her next appearance set for January 14, according to the Statesman's Andrea Ball. Although, Aponte's lawyer Nate Stark did tell reporters that his client fled with only $3,500 in her pocket, despite that she's accused of stealing more than $1 million.
KVUE and Fox 7 sent photogs to Ms. Aponte's hearing today. (So did KEYE, but they don't allow video embedding.) Aponte was handcuffed and appeared in striped prison outfit.